Participation 30 points
Your participation in the class: labs, quizzes, demonstrations, discussions, critiques, or any other events or small assignments that we do during the semester. Here are the first two specific tasks that will be included in this grade:
Setup a Blog
Students will maintain a blog as a sketchbook and public portfolio for the work.
- Login to your UWF gmail account, navigate to the BLOGGER link, and start a blog exclusively for the materials in this course.
- You may name the blog whatever you wish
- you must use the Simple Template (you may customize colors, backgrounds, etc.)
- email the link to the instructor
- example: https://vimeo.com/179772354
Set up Google Drive SHARED FOLDER
This semester I would like you to turn in certain materials using Google Drive. You will log-in to your account and set up a shared folder with me.
- Create a new shared folder in Google Drive.
- Name with these conventions: lastnamefirstinitial _dmm_sp17
e.g. Joe Smith will make a folder named smithj_dmm_sp17
- Share this folder with instructor. email@example.com
- Use the message option to notify instructor that the folder is up.
- Still confused on how to share? See this video
Other assignments that constitute higher value
- Hello World Post on Blog - make a post! and then...
- Weekly blog posts- There are multiple weekly assignments record the week’s work. Think of this as your digital sketchbook. Provide an adequate written statement of your achievements for the week. High performing students will make multiple posts per week. Posts of images, videos, and audio need to be high quality in order to demonstrate your craftsmanship and focus.
training assignments: The objective of all the training assignments in this course to to give students practical hands-ons introductions to the methods of translating digital/CAD modeling to corporeal form. A mandatory informal critique and reflection session will be held for each assignment. Tentatively I have planned: papercraft, FDM, cardboardcraft, foam object
- artist presentation Students will give a 5 minute presentation in class on an artist or collaborative group working with hybrids in Art and Science. Presentations may be done as a slide show, PDF, or other document which can be posted in Google Drive. Post a link to you work on the blog. Presentations may use rich media like video but take care that no time based media over 4 min. in length total. Extra points for wearing a during presentation funny hat that you printed yourself. Artists TBA
- in-progress critique and design sessions - these are group sessions to brainstorm or identify questions about the issues at hand. assignments may be given for groups to study a particular problem or knowledge area and prepare a briefing for the overall course including in-progress critiques to analyze the work-in-progress. Dates to be announced.
Assignment: Reading & Responses 10points
- You will be assigned texts to read closely and write responses to the material.
These are additional blog posts.
- Reading responses should be short form between 500 to 1000 original words. You may quote from the article/writing but, quotes are not to be counted toward word count. Identify and analyze key issues in the text. Students who simply summarize the reading will not receive credit for the entry. Please make attributions as footnotes.
BLOG Entries 15 points
- Essentially this is your sketchbook. A weekly assignment to cover the week’s lessons and additional blog entries are required to complete for this course.
- The expectation is that you will keep a regular diaristic account of your work, our workshops, notes, proposals,and media documenting all of your work. EVERY WEEK!
- Provide extensive documentation of all projects. This will be your portfolio for the semester.
- You are required to use Blogger with the simple template(unless instructor permission is given). Please make a blog unique to our course and email the address to the instructor. Images, videos, and audio need to be high quality to demonstrate your craftsmanship and focus.
Please note: Copies of the media created in this course: CAD files, images, video etc. will be turned through Google Drive also, but this doesn't replace the blog entries.
Projects 3 x 15 points
- Students will design a project constructed primarily of paper using the plotting and drag tools on the CNC.
- The student should a combination of cutting and plot drawing techniques. Each student is limited to 5 sheets of 24 x 36 inch paper. This is a limit of 30 square feet of flat raw materials. Students are allowed to use any paper they deem necessary, the lab will provide drawing paper as a minumum base material.
- Techniques of tension and gravirty should be used in order to get the paper to occupy 3D space. Three examples of tension and gravity were demonstrated in the class. Folding is allowed.
- The overall project will occupy a minimum volume of 1.5cu. feet. 14 inches per side or equivalent.
- Students can add other material such as adhesives, paints, cord, etc to assist but the primary material should be paper.
- If the design is to be suspended, students must make arrangements for a space and provide hardware to hang the object. Please see instructor if this is your plan to make arrangements.
- Project is due Thursday, October 5, 2017 at 2 PM Central Zone.
Use Meshmixer to collage together CHIMERAS. Meshmixer is a tool that allows you to quicky merge found mater into new creations as well as sculpt in the tool. The students are require to make at least 2 Chimeras that will then be saved and produced on the 3D printers. The student may elect to do more than two. Print one with FDM technology and the second with SLA technology.
holder for text