Participation 15 points
Your participation in the class: labs, quizzes, demonstrations, discussions, critiques, or any other events or small assignments that we do during the semester. Here are the first two specific tasks that will be included in this grade:
Setup a Blog
Students will maintain a blog as a sketchbook and public portfolio for the work.
- Login to your UWF gmail account, navigate to the BLOGGER link, and start a blog exclusively for the materials in this course.
- You may name the blog whatever you wish
- you must use the Simple Template (you may customize colors, backgrounds, etc.)
- email the link to the instructor
- example: https://vimeo.com/179772354
Set up Google Drive SHARED FOLDER
This semester I would like you to turn in certain materials using Google Drive. You will log-in to your account and set up a shared folder with me.
- Create a new shared folder in Google Drive.
- Name with these conventions: lastnamefirstinitial _dmm_sp17
e.g. Joe Smith will make a folder named smithj_dmm_sp17
- Share this folder with instructor. email@example.com
- Use the message option to notify instructor that the folder is up.
- Still confused on how to share? See this video
Other assignments that will be counted, * denotes high value assignment
- Hello World Post on Blog - make a post!
- Weekly blog posts*- There are multiple weekly assignments record the week’s work. Think of this as your digital sketchbook. Provide an adeququate written statement of your achievements for the week. High perfroming students will make multiple posts per week. Posts of images, videos, and audio need to be high quality in order to demonstrate your craftsmanship and focus.
training assignments: The objective of all the training assignments in this course to to give students practical hands-ons introductions to the methods of translating digital/CAD modeling to corporeal form. A mandatory informal critique and reflection session will be held for each assignment. Tentatively I have planned: papercraft, FDM, cardboardcraft, foam object
- artist presentation Students will give a 5 minute presentation in class on an artist or collaborative group working with hybrids in Art and Science. Presentations may be done as a slideshow, PDF, or other document which can be posted in Google Drive. Post a link to you work on the blog. Presentations may use rich media like video but take care that no time based media over 4 min. in length total. Extra points for wearing a during presentation funny hat that you printed yourself. Artists TBA
- design sessions - these are public sessions to brainstorm or identify questions about the issues at hand. assignments may be given for groups to study a particular problem or knowledge area and prepare a breifing for the overall course
- in-progress critique - around week 11 a public in-progress critique will analyze the work-in-progress to
Assignment: Reading & Responses 20points
- You will be assigned texts to read closely and write responses to the material.
These are additional blog posts.
- Reading responses should be short form between 500 to 1000 original words. You may quote from the article/writing but, quotes are not to be counted toward word count. Identify and analyze key issues in the text. Students who simply summarize the reading will not receive credit for the entry. Please make attributions as footnotes.
BLOG Entries 15 points
- Essentially this is your sketchbook. A weekly assignment to cover the week’s lessons and additional blog entries are required to complete for this course.
- The expectation is that you will keep a regular diaristic account of your work, our workshops, notes, proposals,and media documenting all of your work. EVERY WEEK!
- Provide extensive documentation of all projects. This will be your portfolio for the semester.
- You are required to use Blogger with the simple template(unless instructor permission is given). Please make a blog unique to our course and email the address to the instructor. Images, videos, and audio need to be high quality to demonstrate your craftsmanship and focus.
Please note: Copies of the media created in this course: CAD files, images, video etc. will be turned through a dropbox also, this doesn't replace the blog entries.
Semester Long Project 50 points
This semester is an extra-special opportunity to work with the additional feedback of interantionally known artist Elizabeth Demaray. I asked all of you to commit to additional work and to experiment with this opportunity. The class will be structured so you have the majority of the control. I will be giving prompts and acting as a facilitator. This project is an evolving process so this document wil evolve along with our work
Each team will fabricate a robust working finished example of their design solution for the Pop Up Show at the end of the semester. A wall text piece that describes and points out key features, influences, etc. should accompany the work.
First step: Learn about the client, learn everything we can for a few weeks, develop all kinds of information that could influence the design... Figure out the bagging methods and measurements. Bag the plants and monitor them for a few weeks.
Captain's Log Date: 10 Jan 2017
The plants have safely made it to the greenhouse. We have met Dr. Fox. We get to use the newer greenhouse, WOO!
We made temporary groups to carry out work. Students were given my phone number. We definitely need to make a spreadsheet of everyones numbers and Dr. Fox asked for us to develop a calendar of times we need access to the greenhouse.